Industrial Relations and Trade Unions | Labor History
Industrial relations may be characterized as the relations and intuitive within the industry especially between the labour and management as a result of their composite demeanors and approaches in respect to the administration of the issues of the industry.
- Canadian Industrial Relations Association (CIRA)
Devoted to the promotion of research, discussion and education in the field of industrial relations in Canada.
- Centre for Industrial Relations - University of Toronto
- Communication Workers of America (CWA)
Information on workers & industry, political action and internet resources.
The database/website of the European Industrial Relations Observatory, a project run by the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, an agency of the European Union. The aim is to provide accurate and up-to-date information on developments in industrial relations in the countries of the European Union (plus Norway) and at European level. The target audience is trade union and employer organisations (at all levels) EU institutions and national governmental bodies, but EIRO aims, through the website, to make the information and analysis generally available, not least to the research and academic communities. EirObserver is the bi-monthly bulletin of the EIRO. It contains an edited selection of feature and news items, based on some of the reports supplied for the EIROnline database over each two-month period. From this page you can download electronic editions of each issue of EIRObserver. By registering, you can have the electronic edition sent to you automatically. Editor: Mark Carley.
German journal on trade-unionism in a socialist perspective.
German journal on trade-unions.
- Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR) - School of Industrial and Labor Relations of the Cornell University, USA
- Industrial Relations Research Association (IRRA)
- Industrial Relations
A Journal of Economy and Society. From the Institute of Industrial Relations. Abstracts only.
- Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management Resources at Middle Tennessee State University. An IRRA resource document for faculty, students and practitioners. Editor: Richard L. Hannah.
- Industrial Relations Center - University of Minnesota, USA
- Industrial Relations Collection of Dewey Library - MIT Libraries Home Page.
Academic discussionlist about industrial relations (theories, methods & technics, research results). Subscribe by sending this message: "join industrial-relations-research ".
- Institute for Labor and Industrial Relations (University of Illinois, USA). Includes a working papers archive and a list of related links.
- Institute of Industrial Relations (IIR) - University of California, Berkeley, USA.
In the Library & Information Resources you'll get a nice list of resources on industrial relations and labor.
- International Industrial Relations Association (IIRA)
Japan Institute of Labour
Publisher of the monthly journal Japan Labour Bulletin. All the articles are full-text and organized in special topics: labour law and social policy; labour market and employment; working conditions / HRM; industrial relations; women workers; aged workers; disabled workers; foreign workers; contingent workers; HRM; social security; working life / worker' opinion; industry / business.
- Labor Relations and Research Center - University of Massachusetts Amhert, USA
- Labour Research Department (LRD)
News and information for Trade Unionists, workers and the labour movement.
- Library Research in Industrial Relations -- Getting Started
A guide designed to lead you to the basic sources of information about industrial relations. It is not meant to be a comprehensive bibliography of the subject. Rather, it is intended as a tool to help you begin your research. Princeton (USA).
Princeton Industrial Relations Library
Provides some great downloadable papers.
Reinet : Liste de diffusion relations professionnelles/ Industrial relations mailing list.
A forum for academic discussion on industrial relations in France, and also, in a comparative perspective, in Europe and in other developed countries. The objective is to encourage a pluridisciplinary debate in the field of industrial relations, and to share information on activities, resources and existing initiatives amongst the academic community and practitioners of industrial relations.
- Workplace Bullying, Stress, Employment Law and You
A UK site working to provide a legal resource to those working against bullying or harassment of any kind in the workplace. The site provides a checklists for employers, targets and union.
- WSI Mitteilungen
A journal on industrial relations, published by the Hans Böckler Stiftung. The Institute of Economic and Social Research (WSI) is a policy research institutes which undertakes academic analysis of issues of practical relevance to industrial relations.
Trade Unions and Labor Movement
Newsnet newsgroup on labour unions. You can also take the road via Google
- Africa - Labor
Links to labor-related and labor history sites, at Stanford University, USA. Editor: Karen Fung.
The site of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations. This federation of labor unions in America represent more than 13 million working women and men.
- Burcht, The
National Trade-Union Museum of the Netherlands, Henri Polakinstituut.
- Christelijk Nationaal Vakverbond (CNV)
Christian union in the Netherlands.
- Columbian Labor Monitor (CLM)
A not-for-profit, independent, grass-roots, non-governmental organization dedicated to fostering international support and solidarity for the Colombian labor movement. Labor is a major target in Colombia's version of the "Dirty War". More than a third of all unionists assassinated in the world over the past decade were Colombians. All the murders of unionists have been linked to right-wing death-squads and the security forces of Colombia.
- Confederation of Netherlands Industry and Employers (VNO-NCW)
- Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU)
The Union is a Spear ... COSATU a Shield!
- Contrast Advies
Center for economic and management research, training and strategic advice. They work for trade-unions and other non-profit organizations.
- Cyber Picket Line
A comprehensive directory of labour on the Web. Organized geographically, so you can easy find individual trade unions in any country. Aimed at shop stewards and local branch activists, it brings together trade union sites with the aim of rebuilding international solidarity and strengthening union organization at local level.
- Database: Trade Unions and Industrial Relations
A database that contains thousands of citations with an average yearly increase of approximately 1,500. The contents are taken from German and European labor union periodicals (DEG), academic and political journals as well as unpublished materials (FUB) and edited volumes and monographs (Landesbibliothek). Thematically, the emphasis is on contemporary union policies, programs and organizational developments in Germany since the mid-1980s. The database is a cooperative project of the Freie Universität Berlin (FUB) together with the Dokumentationszentrum Europäische Gewerkschaften (DEG) in Bremen and the Labor Union Archives of the Niedersächsische Landesbibliothek (Hannover). Users can search the database on author, keyword or phrase. You can also visit the homepage of Arbeitsstelle Nationale und Internationale Gewerkschaftspolitik, part of the political science department of the Otto Suhr Institut (OSI) in Berlin, Germany.
- Deutscher Gewerkschaftsbund (DGB)
- IG Metall
German metalworkers union.
- Federations and Unions on the Internet
A mega list of trade unions online, presented by the Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation (OSSTF). You can browse the Federations and Unions alphabetical, or you can search the database:
- Federation of European Employers (FedEE)
The Federation of Dutch Trade Unions.
- AOb - Onderwijsbond
- AbvaKabo - Overheid, onderwijs, gezondheidszorg, welzijnswerk, bejaardentehuizen, sociale werkvoorziening, PTT en nutsbedrijven in NV vorm.
- AFMP - Algemene Federatie Militair Personeel
- FNV Bondgenoten - Handel, Industrie, Vervoer, Uitzendwerk, Dienstverlening, Uitkering en ouderen, Techniek, Agrarisch & Groen, Metaal.
- FNV Kiem - Vakbond voor kunsten, informatie-industrie en de media.
- FWZ - Federatie van Werknemersorganisaties in de Zeevaart.
- Horecabond - Horeca, contractcatering en verblijfsrecreatie.
- NPB - Nederlandse Politiebond.
- NVJ - Nederlandse Vereniging van Journalisten.
- VVCS - Vereniging van Contractspelers (vooral beroepsvoetballers).
- Gender & Trade Unions
A sociology course by Carl Cuneo (McMaster, Canada).
- Industrial Workers of the World (IWW)
The mission of the IWW is clearly formulated in the preamble: "The working class and the employing class have nothing in common. There can be no peace so long as hunger and want are found among millions of the working people and the few, who make up the employing class, have all the good things of life. Between these two classes a struggle must go on until the workers of the world organize as a class, take possession of the means of production, abolish the wage system, and live in harmony with the Earth."
- Internationla Federation of Workers' Education Associations (IFWEA)
The IFWEA aims to promote "free and voluntary educational work, according to the principles of solidarity and cooperation, justice and equality, democracy and freedom." Includes information on IFWEA publications, a bulletin board, links to affiliated sites. You can read current and past issues of the quarterly maganize, Worker' Education in English, French and Spanish.
- ILO - International Labour Organization. Well structured information on all the activities of the ILO, multi-lingual, including direct access to the IlO databases.
- Labour Movements Group - Politics Department, University of Sheffield, UK. Includes a discussion list on the labor movement, and a list of links.
- LaborNet - USA
A USA community of labor unions, activists, and organizations using computer networks for information-sharing and collaboration, to increase human rights and economic justice of workers. LaborNet maintains a list of Unions and Organizations and a list of Publications, News Services & Print Material. Labournet has several mirror sites located in other countries.
One of the first web-based discussion groups for trade union webmasters. It's a place for trade unionists from all over the world to meet and talk about the new technology that has so many of us excited — the Internet and the World Wide Web. This multi-lingual web forum is for trade union webmasters only. If you maintain a web site, design graphics or write text for one, or are a trade union official with responsibility for the site, you're invited to join the group. If you just want to talk about the labour movement, go to the Usenet newsgroup alt.society.labor-unions or via Google Groups.
- Labour Studies - Brock University - Ontario, Canada
Examines all aspects of work, workers, and their unionzation.
- LabourWatch - Because you can't trust politicians
Editor: D.M. Cross. Includes lists of good and bad actions by the British Labour government and of bad practices in politics.
- Mailing Lists
- Progressive Resources
A selection of links to on-line resources that support the struggle of the working-class for social progress. From the Communist Party USA.
- SoliNet - The Solidarity Network
A resource and meeting place for unionists and supporters of the labour movement. Owned by CUPE (Canadian Union of Public Employees), and operated by union labour.
- Trade Union Congres (TUC)
The federation of UK's trade unions. With nearly seven million members in 74 affiliated unions, Britain's national trade union centre is one of the most powerful labour institutions on the planet. It has one of the very best Web sites. It is designed as a "virtual building" with "floors", "briefing areas" and "resource rooms". These cover the whole range of things you'd expect from a large and powerful union of unions: press releases, documentation, information on issues which concern unionists.
- Union Resource Network
Wants to bring the labor community together, promote American-made products globally and link labor unions to the world's workforce.
- VICNET: Labour and Trade Union Page
Information and resources on the Australian labour and trade union movement. Editor: Adrian Bates.
- Voice of the Rebel Worker
It is the 'home' page of the Union Ring. Includes a page with Cyber Resources For Labour Activists. Editor: Eugene W. Plawiuk.
- WebActive Directory: Labor
- The Withering of Trade Union Patriarchy by Carl Cuneo. (Windows Multimedia Version).
In: EJS 3(2), 1995.
- American Labor History
An online study guide, edited by Mark Lause (Cincinnati, OH, USA).
- Bibliography of Comparative Labor History - Editor: Sean Purdy.
- Canadian Labour History, 1850-1999
A well designed introduction in the history of the Canadian labour movement. Presented by the Canadian Museum of Civilization Corporation.
- Canadian Labour History Bibliography
Includes monographs, pamphlets, articles and theses that contribute to the understanding of the history of the working class in Canada. Compiled by Michael Lonordo, Social Sciences Librarian, Queen Elizabet II Library, Memorial University of Newfoundland.
- Center for Working-Class Studies (CWCS)
A multi-disciplinary teaching and research center devoted to the study of working-class life and culture. The Center's activities include an annual lecture series, biennial conference, and an on-line bibliography. Director: John Russo (Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio).
- Centro Studi Storia del Lavaro
Italian research and documentation center on the history of the Italian labor movement.
- Current Labour History Periodicals
International Association of Labour History Institutions.
- Guide to Canadian Labour History - National Library of Canada.
Incudes: the study of the history of the origins of the labour movement in countries from which people emigrated to Canada; the history of the working class in Canada; the history of labour legislation; the history of associations, guilds and unions devoted to Canadian labourers; the history of the social movements with which labour is often associated.
- Mailing Lists
- International Association of Labour History Institutions (IALHI)
Brings together archives, libraries, document centers, museums, and research institutes specializing in the history and theory of labor movements from all over the world. It was founded in 1970 by the Arbetarrörelsens Arkiv (Stockholm), the Deutscher Gewerkschaftsbund (Düsseldorf), the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (Bonn), the Internationaal Instituut voor Sociale Geschiedenis (Amsterdam), the Labour Party (London), the Schweizerisches Sozialarchiv (Zürich) and the Trades Union Congress (London), among others.
- International Institute of Social History (IISH) - Amsterdam, Netherlands
One of the world's largest documentary and research institutions in the field of social history in general and the history of the labour movement in particular. Most of the collections are open to the public. The IISH holds close to 2,000 archival collections, some 1 million printed volumes and about as many audio-visual itens. The available collections are accessible through an online catalogue and inventories.
- Labour and Business History - WWW Virtual Library
Maintained by the International Institute of Social History and the Netherlands Economic History Archive (Amsterdam, The Netherlands).
- Left Historya
A refereed, interdisciplinary journal of historical inquiry and debate. The site includes on-line articles, cover art, and the table of contents for the journal issues.
- Radical History Review (RHR) and Radical Historians Newsletter
Provides writings and debates, image collections, calenders, and web links.
Google Scholar - Stand on the shoulders of giants
A comprehensive, step-by-step guide on creating a successful blog..
If you think your blog, home page or social media representation should be included on this listing, please don’t hesitate to inform us.